Thursday, 26 July 2007

Start of two scarves

Have now warped a 4.1m length of a stripped 2-ply wool in silver-grey and charcoal. I will use the silver-grey yarn as the weft for the first scarf and the charcoal yarn for the second scarf. Both scarves will be in herring-bone pattern
I am currently weaving the first scarf!

Sunday, 22 July 2007

Fabric finished

Have today just finished weaving my 6m length of fabric.

This is what it looks like on the take-up drum on the loom.

I now have to wash and iron it before I can take it to a tailor to make up into a jacket.
It is 6.37m long and 88.5mm wide off the loom so will have to see how much it shrinks in the washing. It weighs 1039g!

Monday, 16 July 2007

Baby sitting in Albany

For the first weekend of the school holidays I went to Albany in order to baby-sit Matthew and Ben on the Monday and Tuesday whilst Debbie worked. I travelled down on Saturday so on the Sunday we all went out for a drive to Denmark. Our first stop was at a winery and puzzle shop where we spent about an hour playing with the wide range of puzzles.

Then a stop at the Lake House winery for wine tasting and lunch.

Then another stop at a winery and chocolate shop where purchases were made of port, cheese and fudge.
On the Monday I took the two boys out whale watching on a sailing catamaran.
On the trip we saw a total of four whales and a seal colony.

Then on the Tuesday I took Ben to the Dorothy the Dinosauer's Dance Party in the Albany Town Hall - sorry no pictures of this show.

I returned to Perth on the Wednesday after my four day holiday.

Sunday, 1 July 2007

Sunday 1 July 2007

I have now started to weave a piece of material 6m long x 80cm wide (It is actually 95cm through the reed so have allowed plenty for shrinkage). It is a stripped fabric in charcoal and feathering 1-ply natural wool (from Bilby Yarns) and woven in a herring-bone pattern.

It looks very nice and my plan is to have it made into a sports jacket, provided I can find a suitable tailor. It seems a very large amount of cloth for a jacket but just wanted to be on the safe side. A tailor told me they usually use 2.1m of 160cm wide material for jackets, so as I can only make about 80cm wide (100cm through the reed but have to allow for shrinkage), I have doubled the length and then added 50% just to be on the safe time. My aim is to finish weaving it by the end of July so will have to see how I go.